Background Image

Trophy Room

 


 

The US Open Trophy 

Horace Rawlings captured the first U.S. Open title in 1895 at Newport Golf Club in Rhode Island. Rawlings' winnings included $150, a gold medal and a one-year entitlement to the sterling silver championship trophy. The original cup was destroyed in a fire at Tam O'Shanter Golf Club in Illinois in September 1946. The USGA decided to preserve the look of the original trophy and presented a full size replacement in April 1947. This replacement rotated between the new champions each year, until 1986, when it was permanently retired to the USGA Museum in Far Hills, New Jersey.

 


The British Open Trophy

The famous Claret Jug Trophy was made by Mackay Cunningham and Company of Edinburgh and is dated 1873. In 1927, the Championship Committee decided that the original trophy remain in the possession of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club. The British Open was first played at Prestwick in 1860. The inaugural champion, Willie Clark, was presented with a red Moroccan leather belt embellished with a silver buckle and emblems. This trophy was retired when young Tom Morris won it three times in a row. During a meeting at the Prestwick Club in 1871, it was decided that the location of the Open should rotate between the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers and Prestwick. In 1872, the three clubs agreed to pay $10 each to provide a new British Open Trophy. It was not until 1894 that other clubs were added to the rotation.


The Masters Trophy

The Masters Trophy depicts the clubhouse at the Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia. The trophy, which was introduced in 1961, was made by Spaulding Brothers and contains 900 separate pieces of silver. The clubhouse rests atop a pedestal that features the names of past champions and runners up. The Masters champion receives a sterling silver replica, one-quarter the size of the one displayed here, a gold medal and the famed green jacket.


The Ryder Cup Trophy

This famous trophy is named after the founder and sponsor of the Ryder Cup matches, Samuel Ryder. The original solid gold trophy, which has been permanently stored away, stands 17 inches tall and was designed by Mappin and Webb, London Silversmiths. Samuel Ryder insisted that the figure that stands atop the cup be his friend and coach, Abe Mitchell. In its place, a replica that is used on all occasions was made of solid sterling silver and gold gilt, exactly like the one displayed here. This event was contested between American and British professional golfers until 1979, when the British team was expanded to include professional golfers from the European continent.


The Wanamaker Trophy

The Rodman Wanamaker Trophy is the famed prize of the PGA Championship and one of the largest trophies in golf. Wanamaker, a New York City department store owner and son of founder John Wanamaker, donated the trophy and the $2,580 purse in the inaugural PGA Championship in 1916. The champion was a British-born professional, Jim Barnes, who captured his win at Siwanoy Country Club in Bronxville, New York. The original trophy permanently resides at the PGA headquarters in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.


US Amateur Trophy

The United States Amateur Championship, commonly known as the U.S. Amateur, is the leading annual golf tournament in the United States for amateur golfers. It is organized by the United States Golf Association and is currently held each August over a 7-day period.  The tournament consists of two days of stroke play, with the leading 64 competitors then playing a match play competition to decide the champion. All knockout matches are over 18 holes except for the final, which consists of 36 holes, separated into morning and afternoon 18-hole rounds.  In 1895, Charles B. Macdonal won the first U.S. Amateur championship.  He is known for both building the first 18-hole course in the United States and being a driving force in the founding of the United States Golf Association.

 

The Trophy Collection is located within the main clubhouse at Cinnabar Hills Golf Club.